Friday, November 23, 2007

In my solitude

Tonight is cool and the air is crisp. I sit in my solitude and work on my Psychology paper that is due in a couple days. I must do it tonight as I will be on a mission and unable to turn it in on time if I don't finish it tonight. Always the procrastinator, I have waited until the last possible moment to do it.

I lean back and look up at the stars as I sit on the steps of my porch. My air conditioner fan is clanking along beside my head so I turn it off and enjoy a bit of silence. It is nice, relaxing and reminds me of home; sitting on my front porch, snuggled between the Ozark Mountains.

I hear the distant crunching of rocks as soldiers move about in the darkness. Doors open and close and muffled voices echo off the concrete barriers that protect the trailer I have called home for ten long months.

The calm is interrupted as an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) is launched and buzzes noisily overhead. It sounds much like a bumble bee in a coke can and I can see it's blinking navigational light circling high above. I feel a little safer, reassured that other soldiers are at work watching over me while I rest.

Tonight is nice; it reminds me of home.